A Question I ask of you...
What does one do when they have a plethora
of ripe tomato's & yellow squash?
That is the question of the day, each day I go out to my garden & find more & more ripe tomato's & squash. They are coming out of my ears. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that my garden would produce so much! I guess I had a green thumb hidden under all the layers of pale white skin. Who knew? So I need your help. What do I do with them. I'm not a caner (but could find someone to help me, but what do you can)? Can you freeze tomato's? I think that you can freeze squash, but I'm not sure. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks!
7 comments:
My mom just spent the day making zuchinni cupcakes, cake, crumble. Then she freezes them. There really good. Is that the kind of squash you were talking about? Sadly, I dont know tomatoes to be keepers to those will probably have to be consumed. My dad has that huge garden and ends up giving a lot of the food away because they cant eat it fast enough. Great job on such a plentiful crop!
We usually have a mexican food night once a week and I always make fresh salsa. It takes about 4 or 5 tomatos. You could also make spagetti once a week and make your own sauce. That should use up 10+ tomatos a week until your supply runs out.
Can't help you with the squash because I don't cook with it so I'm not sure what to make.
We have the same problem!!! With the exception that our tomatoes are not ripe yet..but when they are we will have a ton. And we have yellow squash producing like CRAZY! I did end up freezing like 8 good sized ones. I found a website that helped me do it. It's at: http://www.pickyourown.org/freezing_summer_squash.htm. Hope that helps!
Thanks everyone.
Take them to the FISH food bank. There is one on Portland Ave and about 84th, by Harvard Elementary school.
One more. The sauce maker that we just purchased makes applesauce but also tomato sauce and salsa Mom mentioned that she had one also.
Post a Comment